A 90-minute TeleConference
1:00-2:30 pm ET / 12:00-1:30 pm CT / 11:00 am-12:30 pm MT / 10:00 am-11:30 am PT
Moderator: Joy M. Mercer, Joy M. Mercer, PC, Florham Park, NJ
Panelists: Gabriel J. Minc, Senior Tax Law Specialist, Office of Employee Plans, TE/GE, Internal Revenue Service, Washington, DC; Bruce D. Pingree, Baker Botts LLP, Dallas, TX; and John L. Utz, Utz & Miller, LLC, Overland Park, KS
Benefits lawyers encounter special issues under the ethics rules because they often provide advice to both the employer and the plan. The panelists will discuss recent developments in the area including the latest case law, IRS guidance and accounting standards. The following questions will be addressed:
- How do you protect attorney-client privilege?
- What is the fiduciary exception?
- What is the impact of including consultants in the discussion/correspondence?
- What are the recent developments in case law?
- What is deemed "prepared for litigation"?
- What is the impact of new IRS and accounting developments?
**If you are paying by check, mail to ABA-JCEB, 740 15th Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005**